Most drivers reach the point where they can pilot their vehicles with little conscious thought. However, to protect both yourself and others on the road, you should always pay close attention to the both the function of your vehicle and its repair needs. A car is not only a powerful force with the potential to cause major harm to others; it’s also a complex machine with extensive inter-connectivity between a slew of parts and processes. The smooth consistency of a modern vehicle’s operation can often belie its intricacy, along with its tendency toward certain car problems.
At Pippin Towing & Recovery, we’ve seen and serviced practically any car trouble you can imagine. Regular service represents the secret to avoid roadside breakdowns and preserve your vehicle from destructive problems. As car problems persist undetected, they will steadily worsen and create the need for additional, more extensive repairs. If a driver can remain attentive to the indicators of trouble, he or she can both save money and prolong the life of their car. Below, you will find a list of common car issues and their signals for repair. If you catch these signs early, you can receive the preventative maintenance that averts roadside breakdowns.
Common Car Problems
There exist two general types of car problems: relatively simple issues that nevertheless lead to roadside breakdowns; and the complex mechanical troubles that can kill a car for good. For the first group, simple maintenance practices on the part of the owner can prevent their occurrence. As for the second group, you’ll need to recognize the signs for repair, and have it performed as quickly as possible.
Common Reasons for Roadside Breakdowns
- Out of Gas: Of all the car problems you might encounter, this one has the easiest solution. Never allow your car to fall below a quarter-tank of fuel, and you’ll avoid any long treks to a gas station.
- Flat Tire: Sometimes, cruel fate leaves a nail or screw squarely in the path of your vehicle. While you can’t avoid every flat tire, you can check the status of your treads and maintain the recommended tire pressure.
- Engine Trouble: Though a broad category that covers many possible issues, most engine troubles share a primary and early symptom. Keep an eye on your gas mileage. If it ever starts to decrease, it signals that your engine is using more fuel to struggle through some issue.
- Dead Battery: Many drivers take their batteries for granted, and forget that they only last for around three years. If your headlights seem dim, or your power windows begin to operate sluggishly, have your battery changed.
- Lockout: Though everyone’s done it at least once, the commonness of this issue makes it nonetheless embarrassing. Always keep a spare set of keys in your home. If you plan to take a trip with a friend or partner, let them carry the extra set.
Common Questions About Major Car Problems
At Pippin Towing & Recovery, we strive to keep our customers informed about their vehicles. We never recommend extraneous services, and explain the procedures and necessity of every repair or service we provide. As seasoned mechanics, we find ourselves addressing the same questions and concerns on a regular basis. The following represent the most common questions that vehicles owners have about major car problems.
What Can Cause a Car to Break Down?
Common mechanical problems that lead to break downs include alternator issues, failed starter motors, broken clutch cables, deteriorated high tension leads, and transmission trouble.
How Do You Diagnose Car Problems?
- Alternator Issues: Your car may struggle to start, or your headlights may seem dim.
- Starter Motor: Odd sounds such as whines and grinding noises when you start your car indicate a failing starter motor. You may also see smoke, in which case you should stop trying to start your car, and instead call for a tow.
- Broken Clutch Cable: Drivers with manual transmissions become pretty familiar with the sounds and feel of proper operation. If you ever notice a different “feel” to the clutch pedal, take your vehicle in for service.
- HT Leads: These carry high voltage to your spark plugs. If they begin to deteriorate, you car will start poorly, as if the effort to operate is too much to handle.
- Transmission Troubles: Most transmission issues begin with “slipping”. This is commonly indicated through a jerk when you change gears.
What Is a Diagnostic for a Car?
Car electrical problems notwithstanding, the computerization of a vehicle’s operation makes it easy for technicians to detect latent issues. A diagnostic is simply a software-enabled review of your car’s operation.
How Can You Prevent Car Problems?
Quite simply, get your oil changed at a shop that will also check your fluid levels, and take your car in for every round of scheduled maintenance. Preventative maintenance like this will spare you any number of car problems, and prolong the life of your vehicle.
Who Do You Call When Your Car Breaks Down?
Roadside assistance is a highly worthwhile service, the value of which you cannot fully appreciate until your car suddenly stops on some lonely, deserted highway. If your car breaks down, and you have roadside assistance, call that number first. If you do not have roadside assistance, use a data-enabled smartphone to locate the nearest towing service. If you cannot do this, call 411 and ask for a towing service.
How Roadside Assistance Works
Practically everyone will at some point find themselves in need of roadside assistance. Whomever provides your coverage has partnered with a network of service providers, including locksmiths and towing companies, who can help with a wide range of car issues. When you call the number, your roadside assistance company determines the closest provider of your needed service, and dispatches them to your aid. Roadside assistance covers a host of common problems, including flat tires, towing, jump-starts, fuel delivery, lost or locked-in keys, and, if your car is stuck in the mud or a ditch, extrication services.
Reach Out to Our Team Today
Whether you have a minor need like an oil change, or require service for major car trouble, Pippin Towing & Recovery is the choice for car problems in Festus, MO. If you’ve detected indications of any of the problems described above, we offer a trusted, affordable solution. To learn more or schedule service, give us a call today at __PHONE__.